Skip to main content

Working with Displaced Title 42 Staff Scientists/Clinicians

The following policy applies to Title 42(g) and some Title 42(f) personnel.

Relevant language from the appointment letter:

The position is fully intended to result in exceptional research. However, you must be aware that you can be reassigned to another lab if there is downsizing of the program. In the event this occurs, you will be expected to address the research goals of the new research program. It is also possible that your appointment may not be renewed due to programmatic changes.

The underlying assumption is that the staff scientist/clinician is guaranteed a position until the not-to-exceed date of his/her appointment.

In general, to facilitate a transfer to a new Principal Investigator's (PI) laboratory, that PI would have to have an open Full-Time Equivalent Employment (FTE) and salary to pick up the Staff Scientist/Staff Clinician. In some cases, the Scientific Director (SD) may facilitate the transfer by providing the FTE and salary for the Staff Scientist/Staff Clinician.

Suggestions for Scientific Directors to Consider

  1. Advertise open staff scientist/clinician positions, if the PI is willing, on the Staff Scientist/Staff Clinician (SS/SC) Organization website, the Office of Intramural Training and Education (OITE) website, through the DDIR Web board and all other alternatives
    • Consider relocation of a displaced SS/SC within a lab regardless of the current number within that lab, with the understanding that when one of the current positions is vacated, it may not be refilled
    • Consider temporary placement with a tenure-track PI
  2. Refer headhunter requests to the SS/SC Organization for distribution
  3. Offer coursework to enable the SS/SC to acquire new scientific skills and transition to a different laboratory, or the possibility of a detail within an NIH office to allow transition to an administrative position within the NIH
  4. Facilitate moves to academia or industry when that is an option
    • SS/SC could apply for non-government funds for which they are eligible
    • Career development workshops, such as on resume and CV updates, are available year-round and advertised on the OITE website
    • Career counseling will be available through the Office of Intramural Training and Education

The page was last updated on Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 11:26am