Global Health Interest Group
The mission of the Global Health Interest Group (GHIG) is to unite and strengthen the NIH community interested in conducting research projects related to the interdisciplinary field of global health. We aim to achieve this through regular activities including:
- A Global Health Seminar Series: We maintain a regular Global Health seminar series, in which NIH-based professionals present their work and discuss the local and global health impact of their science. Additionally, prominent players from outside of NIH, involved in basic biomedical science, clinical science/clinical trials, science and health policy, and public health, are also invited to speak, further highlighting the need for cross-disciplinary collaboration in addressing Global Health concerns.
- Global Health Networking Events: Held on a monthly basis, these networking events enable the NIH community interested in global health issues to explore potential collaborations and form connections with peers, mentors and colleagues in an informal setting.
- Promotion of technical and scientific events: We will inform GHIG members and the wider NIH community about conferences, seminars, and other scientific sessions focusing on global health to ensure constant awareness of key events and priorities in the field.
- A Global Health ListServ: This listserv allows for the communication of relevant global health related seminars and events of interest to the NIH community.
- Managing lists of languages being learned at NIH to foster intercultural exchange. NIH email account holders can view and add their information to the full list of languages and learners here. Please direct any questions or comments on this program to the co-chairs (contact information below).
- An Annual Global Health Symposium: We aim to organize a regular Global Health Symposium each year, hosting NIH and non-NIH speakers. This event will provide further networking opportunities, and communicate the work of the Global Health community at NIH in the form of a half day, on-campus conference.
The GHIG Steering Committee is comprised of NIH fellows and early to mid-career investigators representing different institutes at NIH. Senior investigators and administrators serve an advisory role to the committee, and meetings with committee members and advisors are held regularly.
- Gyan Prakash, Ph.D., NEI
- Thomas Quinn, Ph.D., NIAID/DIR
- Sudha Sivaram, Dr. P.H., M.P.H., NCI
- Mishka Kohli Cira, M.P.H., NCI
- Lymarie Maldonado-Baez, Ph.D., M.S., NCI
- Hawa Camara, Ph.D., M.P.H., NCI, email@example.com
- Loretto Carvajal Raventos, M.D., M.Sc., NCI, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Percy Guzman M.D., Sc.M., NCI, email@example.com
- Jack Murphy Ph.D., M.P.H., NCI, firstname.lastname@example.org
To join the Global Health Interest Group mailing list, please visit the Global Health Interest Group Listserv home page, then click the “Subscribe or Unsubscribe” link in the right sidebar.
Scientific Focus Areas
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
This page was last updated on Tuesday, November 21, 2023