Global Health Interest Group
The mission of Global Health Interest Group (GHIG) is to unite and strengthen the NIH community interested in and conducting research projects related to the interdisciplinary field of global health. We aim to achieve through a number of regular activities:
- A Global Health Seminar Series: We maintain a regular Global Health seminar series, in which NIH-based professionals present their work and discuss the local and global health impact of their science. Additionally, prominent players from outside of NIH, involved in basic biomedical science, clinical science/clinical trials, science and health policy, and public health, are also invited to speak, further highlighting the need for cross-disciplinary collaboration in addressing Global Health concerns.
- Global Health Networking Events: Held on a monthly basis, such networking events enable the NIH community, interested in global health issues, an informal venue to explore potential collaboratary opportunities available and form connections with peers, mentors and colleagues.
- A Global Health ListServ: This listserv allows for the communication of relevant global health related seminars and events of interest to the NIH community.
- An Annual Global Health Symposium: We aim to organize a regular Global Health Symposium each year, hosting NIH and non-NIH speakers. This event will provide further networking opportunities, and communicate the work of the Global Health community at NIH in the form of a half day, on-campus conference.
The GHIG Steering Committee is comprised of NIH fellows and young investigators representing different Institutes at NIH. Senior investigators and administrators serve an advisory role to the committee, and meetings with committee members and advisors are held regularly.
- Lucas Buyon, Ph.D., NIAID, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Margarita Correa-Mendez Ph.D, M.P.H., NCI, email@example.com
- Percy Guzman M.D., Sc.M., NCI, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jack Murphy Ph.D., M.P.H., NCI, email@example.com
To join the Global Health Interest Group mailing list, please visit the Global Health Interest Group Listserv home page, then click the “Subscribe or Unsubscribe” link in the right sidebar.
- Gyan Prakash, Ph.D., NEI
- Thomas Quinn, Ph.D., NIAID/DIR
Scientific Focus Areas
View SIGs in Health Disparities
View SIGs in Clinical Research
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
View SIGs in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Learn more about Microbiology and Infectious Diseases in the IRP
This page was last updated on Thursday, February 23, 2023